If your RTU vendor is trying to convince you that their ageing products meet your immediate needs and more functionality can be squeezed into their old CPU technologies if your requirements change
– don’t believe it! see our app note what to look after
Technology is changing rapidly. You will soon need encryption, user authentication and web technologies and smart communications interfaces like 4G modems – this requires latest generation hardware and new os to interface to it.
- Host managed RTU applications – reducing the need for unique site logic/programs
- Breaking vendor ‘lock in’ using open protocols
Can my existing RTUs with 10 year old CPU architecture meet my future requirements?
If we started a conversation about mobile phone evolution and discussed the capabilities of the models
produced 10-15 years back to those produced now!
– it is difficult to do an ‘apples with apples’ comparison, because the old phones did not have the capability to do what users expect now. RTUs are no different
– if you expect (and need) to have secure data, secure user interfaces and advanced processing capabilities you need to have a latest generation RTU, otherwise it is not future proof!